PIGNATARO – bombed several times and completely destroyed. The population resisted both the bombing and the German occupation: a partisan unit was formed and, as a stronghold of the Gustav Line, the entire municipal territory was on the front line for many months.
THINGS TO SEE: the 14th century church of Madonna dei Sette Dolori, declared a national monument, the remains of the Terme, known as the
Terme, known as the “old customs house”, the ruins of the Fasti Consolari and the Roman necropolis.

SAN GIORGIO A LIRI – A defensive stronghold of the German forces in the winter of 1943-44, it was destroyed before being liberated by the black troops. The survivors were able to respond with dignity and courage to the horrors of war.
TO SEE – The Church of St George the Martyr, the old town, Prince Morra’s Castle and St George’s Lake, a small body of water with a white statue of the Madonna. The landscape offers remarkable attractions in the green and quiet of the woods.

SANT’APOLLINARE – Situated in the lower valley of the river Liri, it was 95% destroyed. It was bombed in September 1943. This first attack marked the beginning of a series of bombardments that caused massacres of displaced people.
TO SEE – The church of S. Maria degli Angeli, the 11th century bell tower and the historic centre.

SANT’AMBROGIO SUL GARIGLIANO – a town of Benedictine origins, devastated by an air raid on 2 December 1943, when a bomb hit a shelter, killing 42 people.
TO SEE: the monumental Baroque altar of 1600, the wooden crucifix of 1300 in the church of S. Biagio, the old town centre, the Torre Civica and the bridge over the Garigliano.

SANT’ANDREA DEL GARIGLIANO – was completely razed to the ground. To commemorate this event, there is a Monument to the Fallen of All Wars in the historical centre.
WHAT TO SEE: the “Written Stone” in Guardia, a large stone, probably of pre-Roman origin, with an inscription dedicated to the wife of a warrior killed in battle; and the huge stone slabs, placed in a way that is certainly not natural, near the municipal sports facilities, leaving the visitor bewildered and enigmatic. An agricultural centre rich in sulphurous springs.

VALLEMAIO – a few kilometres from the front, was devastated on 9 May 1944 when German soldiers rounded up and shot 36 people, including women and children. It was completely destroyed.
TO SEE – the parade ground of Vallefredda Castle and the entrance gate, the Church of the Annunziata, a valuable example of late 13th century architecture. Climbing on foot to the top of Monte Maio, you can see the Tyrrhenian Sea and the mouth of the Garigliano river.

CASTELNUOVO PARANO – was forcibly rounded up by German troops and subjected to brutal bombardments that caused numerous civilian casualties and the destruction of the inhabited centre. The town suffered a series of robberies and lootings with acts of violence by Moroccan troops.
TO SEE – The church of Sant’Antonio, with frescoes of various origins.

CORENO AUSONIO – in memory of the ravages, murders and violence suffered, a stele “for peace” was erected in Marinaranne on the 50th anniversary of the war.
THINGS TO SEE: the Chapel of St. Joseph, which houses the pungolane, a large stone used to be tied around the neck to atone for sins, the town hall (in Coreno stone), the Serra panoramic road, the Vallauri mountain path and the marble quarries. The town is known both nationally and internationally for the working of Coreno marble.

AUSONIA – was on the front line. A large part of the population was rounded up and taken to concentration camps and was liberated in May 1944 by French black troops.
TO SEE: the church of St. Archangel Gabriel (13th century) surrounded by medieval walls, the Madonna del Piano with its frescoes, the medieval castle, St. Maria a Castello (now the Auditorium) with its elegant bell tower, the Castle Stone Museum and the Selvacava pine forest.

ESPERIA – was of great strategic importance and was bombed several times. After its liberation, the population suffered violence at the hands of Moroccan soldiers.
TO SEE – the Sanctuary of Cenobio Maria S.S. delle Grazie PP. Trinitari, the Cathedral of S. Maria Maggiore and S. Filippo Neri, the Loreto Chapel, the remains of the Royal Church, the ruins of the medieval castle and the monastery of S. Pietro della Foresta, the Aurunci Park and the remains of a Roman road.

Skip to content