HISTORIALE DI CASSINO

S. ELIA FIUME RAPIDO – 91% destroyed during the air raid of 8 December ’43. The network of German forts, trenches and perfectly preserved communication trenches at Monte Cifalco are visible today.
TO SEE – the small church of Ognissanti (10C), a place of worship and Benedictine art, the church of S.Maria Maggiore (10C) and the baroque church of S.Maria delle Grazie in loc. Olivella (16C); the 18th century buildings in the historical centre, the medieval towers; the Monti Bianchi area; the archaeological area of the village of Valleluce.

TERELLE – its heights were occupied several times by opposing armies, until they remained in the hands of the Algerian and Tunisian regiments.
TO SEE – the medieval buildings and the centuries-old chestnut grove. From Monte Cairo (m 1600) there is a vast panorama from the mountains of the Abruzzo National Park to Montecassino Abbey.

BELMONTE CASTELLO – was part of the Cassino defence system and was devastated and half-destroyed as a result.
TO SEE – the church of San Nicola and San Rocco with frescoes from the 14th century, the remains of the Roman aqueduct at Costa Campopiano, the medieval tower and the ‘fosse’ (rocky craters 130 m deep).

ATINA – became the rear of the front established at Cassino and the Allied bombardments of 5 and 12 December destroyed it completely.
TO SEE – the ancient polygonal walls dating back to the 4th-5th centuries B.C., the Ducal Palace and the 18th-century cathedral of S. Maria Assunta, the Archaeological Museum with its collection of archaeological finds of Roman and pre-Roman origin discovered in the Comino Valley. In summer, Atina hosts international events such as the ‘Atina Jazz’ festival and the Folklore Festival.

PICINISCO – was occupied by the Germans who rounded up Jewish refugees and displaced the inhabitants. After the
bombardment it was subjected to numerous harassments and was liberated on 29 May 1944 by Italian troops. It is part of the Abruzzo National Park and dominates the entire Comino Valley. It hosted the English writer D.H. Lawrence.
TO SEE – Lawrence’s house, the churches of S. Lorenzo and S. Rocco, the historical centre, the feudal castle (11th century) and Grottacamparo Lake.

VALLEROTONDA – is remembered for the massacre of Collelungo, on 28 December 1943, when 38 civilians and 4 Italian soldiers were slaughtered by the Germans, commemorated by a monument by the sculptor Mastroianni. The appearance of the town has remained typical of medieval centres with narrow streets, small squares and stairways.
TO SEE – the churches of S. Maria Assunta (13th century) and dell’Annunziata, the ‘Arch├Čacuto’ gate known as the ‘Arenale’, the
Castle and the medieval historical centre, the ruins of the church of S. Michele, and the Roman bridge over the Rapido river in loc.
Gallo Minore.

ACQUAFONDATA – in memory of the bloody military actions, French and Polish veterans have erected monuments to the memory of their fallen soldiers.
TO SEE – the churches of S. Margherita and that of the Madonna del Carmelo and the remains of the castles of Acquafondata and Casalcassinese, the forest nursery defined as one of the most beautiful in Lazio.
It is known for its international bagpipe festival and for the skill of local craftsmen in the manufacture of this instrument.

VITICUSO – was one of the first towns to be taken by the Allies, who entered it on 12 January 1944 with French black troops. The town had been totally destroyed and plundered by the Germans.
TO SEE – the Sanctuary of St. Antonino, the historical centre and the Wind Nature Park. A local feature, the local festivities that recall the origins of the village with the public display of old agricultural and domestic tools, period photos, lace.

Skip to content